Kona Adventure team Rider Cory Wallace is never one to sit still. In fact, the Jasper, Alberta native is pretty much the definition of the word Adventure. Case in point is his FKT (Fast Known Time) climbing Tanzania’s Mt Kilimanjaro on Friday. Cory climbed from the park entrance at 1,980m to Uhuru Peak 5,898m and back in 8 hours 55 minutes. He even took the time to take in the view on top before pointing the bike downward.
But the feat was a happy accident. Initially in South Africa to race the Absa Cape Epic, travel restrictions meant he was unable to return to Canada. Cory then made lemonade out of lemons and proceeded to turn Tanzania into his new training base and tick off a few things on his Type 2 wishlist!.
What’s crazy about Cory’s Mt Kilimanjaro FKT is it came just one day after he summited earlier in the week scouting the route. Proof that you should never ever skip leg day!
Follow Cory on Instagram for more of his crazy adventures! https://www.instagram.com/wallacesworld/
Here are some stats from Cory’s Sea to Summit trip and the five days up on Kilimanjaro.
• 18 days bike packing/training from Zanzibar-Usambara mtns-Kilimanjaro base (1335 km).
• Three days acclimation sleeping at Horombo hut (3700m) x2 & Kibo hut (4700m) x1.
• First summit was on the third day.
• The fourth day my guide stayed up on Kili and I descended to the Ranger station at Kilema gate.
• Fifth day: 2nd Summit (🚵🏼Fastest Known time)
– 7:00 am leave Kilema gate (entrance to Kilimanjaro national park @ 1980m)
– 10:33 am reach Kibo hut and my guide Chris.
– 20-minute break to transition into hike a bike shoes.
– 1:07 pm reach Gilmans point. Chris stays around here while I push for the summit.
– 2:00 pm Uhuru peak of Kilimanjaro (5895m) 🏁
– 2-2:12 pm: Heaven on earth 😇
– 2:13 pm start the descent.
– 2:51 pm reach Kibo hut (4700m). Transition into bike shoes
– 3:03 pm leave Kibo with all the gear, leave Chris to meet him at Kilema gate.
– 3:55 pm roll across the park exit at Kilema gate.
• Total time: 8 hrs 55 minutes
• Total elevation gain: 3915m
• Total water consumed: 8 liters
• Food: caramel candies, ginger candies, a couple of Tanzanian peanut bars, four bottles of power bar mix, one electrolyte mix
• Max temp: 24ºc
• Min temp: 6ºc