After having a good weekend in Charm City two weekends ago I went into a weekend off with high spirits and an excitement to reset mentally. All the while I was keeping tabs on my team mates, Helen Wyman and Amira, who were racing up in Gloucester, MA. Helen ended the weekend with a 2nd and 1st place so going into DCCX I was looking forward to keep the Major Jake on the top step.

I was certainly excited to race but also excited to try out my RV. I had never taken it to a UCI race before so my mechanic, Doug Sumi, and I were the guinea pigs, testing out the efficiency and worthwhile-ness of the RV at the venue.

With 4:15 pm race times I had loads of time to kill both days before the race. I spent my morning checking out Rock Creek Park on morning spins and lounging in the RV watching racers from the comfort of my mobile couch!

Sunday, I partnered up with Ricoh Riott who is a talented photographer in the Baltimore, DC area. We went over to Rock Creek Park and sessioned a sweet stair set on a gravel walking path. Ricoh artistically pulled some shots and put it together for this cool, short video.

A video posted by konabikes (@konabikes) on

The course was really flat but had some punchy rises and lots of cornering. Saturday brought heavy winds and the race reflected that be being a group race from lap one. I was on top of it from the gun and managed to holeshot. From there a front group of five established and that was the race. Dan Timmerman, Anthony Clark, Cole Oberman, Adam Craig, and myself took turns throwing metaphoric punches at each other with strategically timed attacks but nothing was working. It came down to the last lap and a spring between Dan and I, which I was able to pull off!


The course on Sunday was exactly the same but not nearly as windy and the race played out completely different, for the most part. A second corner crash caused a big separation early in the race, which left Dan and I off the front with the same three from Saturday chasing. They brought the gap down to within spitting distance with two laps to go. I got a little nervous and jumped. This ultimately strung it out and made the race a two person battle between Dan and I again.

I came into the finish straight with Dan on my wheel and was ready for him to come around me because of the dig I put in on the previous lap. However, I was still hungry for the win and managed to summon my inner Peter Sagan to hold Dan off and take the Sunday crown. This finish was much closer than Saturday, with only half a wheel determining the top two steps.


Needless to say I was floored.

I couldn’t be happier with the way the weekend turned out. I got to put two W’s on the resume, keeping the Major Jake on the top step for two ProCX race weekends in a row, and getting the wins doubled as a great birthday present for my dad who was part of my weekend fan club (along with my mom).

Now it’s off to Cincinatti for Pacific American Championships followed by Louisville and the Derby City Cup.

Follow along with Kerry on Instagram as he continues to smash it on his Major Jake!