We will never, ever, ever get over seeing a custom Honzo. The affordable and progressive frame is an absolute blank slate. People can go crazy and build over-the-top super bikes while others strive for do-it-all function over a blinging build. Well, Brayden’s 2019 Honzo ST straddles that line perfectly with just the right amount of bling and functionality.
“For about eight months, I had this brand new Shimano SLX 1 x 11 drivetrain sitting in my living room as though to taunt me to buy my first mountain bike. After eight months I finally decided on what bike I wanted to build, a custom steel Honzo. Sadly there were no 2018 frame models left when I eventually made my decision and the 2019’s weren’t available for another three to four months. I was eaten up with a desire to get this thing built up as soon as possible, but I wanted it to be right the first time. I waited and the wait definitely paid off. I get non-stop remarks on how beautiful the frame is and how the components complement each other.”
“I have ridden this bike on downhill black diamond trails and successfully “shredded the gnar” multiple times on all sorts of other XC and Enduro trails with a feeling of accomplishment and ultimate satisfaction after every ride. The purpose of this build was to be able to explore all kinds of trails without worrying about my bike getting “messed up”. I work as the service manager for the Lewis & Clark bike shop in Northwest Arkansas. You could say that I live and breathe for bikes, but honestly, I just have fun working on and riding them. We have a plethora of trails to choose from at all levels of difficulty, so it’s hard not to want to get out there and see what else my bike can do.”
Brayden’s Honzo Build Details are as follows.
• The drivetrain is 100% Shimano SLX with a 11-42 cassette and a 34t chainring.
• iSSi Flash III pedals
• WTB Volt Team Issue saddle with Ti rails
• Shimano Deore XT M8000 brakes w/Ice-Tech SM-RT81 180mm rotors
• Jagwire Elite super slick shift cables & Gold zero compression housing
• Maxxis Ardent 29 x 2.4 Tan wall tires front & rear
• Muc-Off 60mm Anodized Green Tubeless valve stems (rear stem cap is also a valve core remover) and Muc-Off sealant (zero issues after six months of riding might I add)
• Whisky No.9 36W Carbon Wheels w/Dt Swiss 350 hubs with upgraded ratchet 54t engagement
• Whisky No.9 Carbon Handlebar with a 25mm rise and 35mm clamp and cut to 770mm
• Whisky No.7 Seatpost (I get crap from everyone about not having a dropper and I see why cause I’m doing more crazy stuff with the bike that I want one too so it will soon be a Fox Factory Transfer dropper w/wolftooth remote lever)
• RaceFace Turbine R 35 60mm Stem
• Ergon GA3 orange Grips
• Cane Creek 40 Headset
• Fox Factory 34 Step-cast Fork w/120mm of travel & FIT4 damper