The group recommends three steps to take at home:
- Know Before You Go: Check the status of the place you want to visit. If it is closed, don’t go. If it’s crowded, have a plan B.
- Plan Ahead: Prepare for facilities to be closed, pack lunch and bring essentials like hand sanitizer, a face covering and gloves
- Stay Close to Home: This is not the time to travel long distances to recreate. Most places are only open for day use.
And there are three steps when once outside:
- Practice Physical Distancing: Adventure only with your immediate household. Be prepared to cover your nose and mouth and give others space. If you are sick, stay home.
- Play It Safe: Slow down and choose lower-risk activities to reduce your risk of injury. Search and rescue operations and health care resources are both strained.
- Leave No Trace: Respect public lands and communities and take all your garbage out with you.
Remember that we can all do our part to take care of ourselves, each other, and public lands and ensure they remain safe for future generations to enjoy. Join me and help lead by example and learn how to #RecreateResponsibly.